Downloading, Installing, and Registering the Salesforce Authenticator App for MFA
The Salesforce Authenticator mobile app is a simple, no-cost verification method that satisfies Salesforce's Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) requirement. For more information on MFA, including other MFA-compliant verification methods, please see this article. For a short video tutorial on downloading, installing, and registering the Salesforce Authenticator app, please click here.
Using the Salesforce Authenticator to Log In
If you have already downloaded, installed, and registered the Salesforce Authenticator mobile app, please see this help doc for tips on logging in.
Downloading and Installing the Salesforce Authenticator Mobile App
Salesforce offers multiple applications that support various products, and many platforms offer their own authenticator apps. Please be sure to download the Salesforce Authenticator mobile application. Note that this is not the same as the general Salesforce mobile application, which allows you to access Salesforce data on your phone.
- Download and install the Salesforce Authenticator app for the type of mobile device you use.
- Open the Salesforce Authenticator app. If you are prompted to allow notifications, select "Allow".
- After walking through the "tour" or clicking "Skip Tour", you may be prompted to enter your mobile number. This is strongly recommended in the event that you switch phones or delete the app. If you do not back up your account and lose access to the mobile application, you will not be able to log in to Salesforce until a national office admin restores access.
- Enter your mobile number and click Send.
- You should immediately receive a text message with a link to verify your number. Click the link.
- Set a 4-digit passcode that you can remember in the future.
Once you have successfully downloaded and installed the Salesforce Authenticator mobile app, you can move on to registering the app with your Salesforce account.
Registering the Salesforce Authenticator App
- Enter your username and password into the standard Salesforce login page.
- You will now be asked to enter a two-word phrase. Open the Salesforce Authenticator mobile app and click Add an Account.
- Type the two-word phrase that appears on your phone screen into the field on your desktop screen. Click Connect.
- The desktop screen will prompt you to check your mobile device. On your phone, verify that you are connecting your Salesforce account to the Salesforce Authenticator app by reviewing the information and clicking Connect.
- A message will appear on your phone confirming that you have successfully added an account, and on your computer you will be redirected back to Salesforce.
Enrolling in Lightning Login (Optional)
For a password-free login process, you can enroll in Lightning Login. Doing so will allow you to jump directly to the Salesforce Authenticator approval process without entering your password. Enrolling in Lightning Login is recommended but not required.
- In Salesforce, click your profile icon to the top right corner and click Settings.
- In the toolbar to the left, find My Personal Information and click Advanced User Details.
- Under User Detail, locate Lightning Login and click [Enroll].
- A screen will appear prompting you to approve this request on your mobile device, and you will see a notification. Open the Salesforce Authenticator app, review the information, and click Approve.
- The following desktop screen will confirm Lightning Login enrollment. The next time you log in, be sure to check the "Remember me" checkbox, as doing so will allow you to bypass the password entry step and proceed straight to the Salesforce Authenticator approval process.
Other MFA-Compliant Verification Methods
While the national office is supporting the use of Salesforce Authenticator to comply with the MFA requirement, there are other options for users who wish to add an additional authentication method or who cannot download the app. Please see this help article section for more information.